[c-nsp] Cisco 11506 vs. cisco 6500 CSM and SSL module

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists Lists at Hojmark.ORG
Tue Nov 22 15:40:59 EST 2005

>  I am planning to deploy the load balancer. Initially I have
> thought of CIsco 11506. Then I got to know about 6500 switch
> also support the same functionality with CSM and SSL module and
> give better performance compared to 11506. I was wondering if
> Cisco is already providing the same feature in a module form in
> 6500 switch, why it need to provide another product?

Actually, the LocalDirector, which was also a load-balancer, came
first. Then Cisco acquired ArrowPoint and got the CSS. The CSM
was then done by the people who did LocalDirector, I think.

Today, the CSM does more or less everything that the CSS does,
though configured from IOS CLI and with better performance (well,
at least typically). So if you have a 6500 to put it in, it's the
logical way to go.

But not everyone has 6500s to use for load-balancing, or maybe
not *where* they need load-balancing. The CSS can also be a lot
cheaper.

-A