[c-nsp] 3620 and WIC-1ADSL

Garry Glendown gkg at gmx.de
Tue Nov 22 16:53:41 EST 2005

Brett Looney wrote:
> At 22:39 22/11/2005, you wrote:
>
>>It will not work in a NM-1E2W or a NM-2E2W. You will need a
>>NM-1FE2W, NM-2FE2W, or a NM-2W to use the WIC-1ADSL. We also
>>recommend using 12.3(16) It will show up as an ATM interface. You
>>need to make sure your image supports ATM and optionally PPPoE/PPPoA
>>if you need it.
>

> And that would be the reason why. We're using a NW-1E2W. Damn. Is
> this information anywhere on the cisco site? I would have done a
> build using the configurator but the 3620 is EOL...

Anybody attempting to use an older router (like 36x0, 1600, 1700 etc)
with a new interface, or an old interface with a new router (1800, 2800,
etc) will need to REALLY make sure it will be compatible ... I ended up
throwing away (well, putting in storage) a WIC1ENET intended for an
1840, which wouldn't work ... I don't really like the (mostly polical?)
decision of Cisco to break compatibility of (H|V|)WIC interfaces lately
...  before, just take any WIC interface, and it would work in any
router with a WIC slot (usually). This is especially bad as old
"reseerve" hardware won't be usable in case of an emergency ... :(

-gg