[c-nsp] MLFR versus MLP

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Tue Nov 22 19:12:41 EST 2005

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 05:40:28PM -0600, Jessup, Toby wrote:
> How does MLFR compare to MLP for T1 bonding applications?
>
> Is the router processor load and switching mode about the same?

I've never seen any comparative testing on the two.
I'd expect them to be pretty close.

> MLFR supports PVCs, providing a services muxing flexibilty MLP lacks.
> Why would an SP use MLP instead of MLFR?

MLFR is when you have frame-relay network and you want to deliver
say nxT1 access to the hub bug sub-rate DS3. The hub stills sees
one main interface with subints for the PVC'S.

MLP is just to bond a nxTx links together.

> MLFR is not as mature as MLP and there is no GD-level IOS for MLFR yet.
> Are there any known problems or feature limitations that make MLFR
> unacceptable compared to MLP?

I'm not aware of any major ones but you are right it's a bit less
common and mature.

Rodney