R: R: [c-nsp] lan-to-lan pix-vpn3k unidirectional problem

Zacchello Marco Marco.Zacchello at netengineering.it
Sat Nov 26 09:09:56 EST 2005

Hi all,

I solved my problem, here the summary:
Cisco PIX Firewall Version 6.3(4) to VPN 3000 Concentrator Version 4.7.1.Rel

(1)At the beggining the VPN L2L starts only from the VPN3k, but if started from
the pix nothing works and the 'debug crypto isakmp/ipsec' logs:
"IPSEC(sa_initiate): ACL = deny; no sa created", so the pix didn't start the negotiation.

(2)Then reading your mail, and some forum about this message, I decided to re-apply (without de-apply or reload the pix)
the "crypto map outside_map interface outside" command, now I see more debug messages, but the negotiation fails.
(before there was no negotiation). I read quickly the new debug, and seemed strange to me, but at this point the failure was only config-related, infact today I changed the LAN2LAN SA configuration on the VPN3k, adding the PFS. (thanks Brian for your help!) and now everything works.

However, If I understood well, the pix use 'strictly' the crypto map to start the VPN, but loosely accept the incoming VPN?
Why Pix accept the VPN without PFS from VPN3K, but VPN3K doesn't accept the VPN from the pix with PFS?
Moreover, with Cisco PIX Firewall Version 6.3(4), I need to re-apply the "crypto map [] interface" command to correctly load the new istances of crypto map, at this point I'm wondering if upgrade the pix towards 6.3(5) (or 7.0(4), if memory requirements are met), would fix this problem....

Thanks all for your help and patience

bye
Marco