[c-nsp] VPN max throughput

Michael Markstaller mm at elabnet.de
Tue Oct 4 04:13:55 EDT 2005

Cisco tends to spread several different numbers for IPSec throughput, most of them derived from the size of shoes the marketing guy writing it, not real world..

I found the numbers listed in the DMVPN SRND quite realistic, also for plain IPSec with 3DES and certificates w/ or w/o DMVPN..
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/largeent/it/ese/DMVPN_bk.pdf
A 7200VXR with NPE-G1 and two VAM2 is listed pushing through between 33 and 60 MBit..
I sometimes wonder what people are doing IPSec for when suggestions go for using single-DES and short PSK's.. (?) one could also use ESP-NULL or even faster a unencrypted GRE-Tunnel then without all the hassles of encryption and data integrity ;)

Michael