[c-nsp] Placing a server in a PoP

Kim Onnel karim.adel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 09:08:27 EDT 2005

> If you have a data center or other space normally used for customer
> colocation, what is the feasibility of putting the Internet cafe scratch
> cards and his server in a separate VLAN, then extending that VLAN to your
> data center?

on the top of my head is, make vlan here and there, move it into a VRF, but
the point is, we aggregate all our ADSL into this PoP and terminate PPP too,
so to put the server in a data center it means i'll have to push the traffic
back and forth.

I'd push strongly against putting customer-owned gear in your POP,
> if you don't already do it for anyone else. If you do, I'd hope your
> infrastructure racks/cabinets are physically separated from the customer
> colocation spaces.
>
> 1) It sets a bad precedent if this is the first case. Sooner or later,
> someone else will request the same service, knowing you did it for XYZ,
> even if that was a "totally off the map, one-time deal" :-)
> 2) Access. I'm assuming your POP is located in some type of secured
> space. If your customer puts their own server in your POP, then you
> either need to arrange for them to access your POP, or clearly spell out a
> policy with your customer stating "If this breaks, physical access to the
> machine is done on an escort-only, best effort basis"
>
> jms

So, How about my suggestion, any other/better solution ?