[c-nsp] Need a router

Kristofer Sigurdsson kristo at ipf.is
Tue Oct 4 05:07:24 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 14:06 -0400, nethub at gmail.com wrote:
> We are looking at probably an aggregate of under 30 Mbps on 95th, with
> bursts up to 100 Mbps.  We'd ideally like to be able to handle at
> least 300 Mbps with this router if that's possible.

For the 30 Mbit/s, a 2811 would do fine (2821 might be better for you,
though, as you plan on upgrading your FastEthernet links to
GigabitEthernet).

The 100 Mbit/s bursts, well, a 2811 might be able to handle that, the
2821 would be a fairly safe bet.

The 2811 can take 760 MB of memory, the 2821 can take 1 GB.  That's
enough for 3 BGP feeds.

For 300 Mbit/s of traffic, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a
7200VXR, NPE-400.  The NPE-400 can take 512 MB of memory, which might
get tight with your 3 BGP feeds, but should be able to handle it.

Another option would be a 3800 series router, which I think may be your
best bet.  The 3825 and 3845 can both take 1 GB of memory, they both
have 2 10/100/1000 RJ-45 ports and 1 gigabitethernet SFP port.
The 3845 should be able to handle 300 Mbit/s of throughput.

--
Kristófer Sigurðsson           Tel: +354 414 1600
Netrekstur/Network Operations  IP Fjarskipti ehf.