FW: [c-nsp] Cisco Gigabit Ethernet Switch Module (CGESM) fortheHPBladeSystem

Kevin Graham mahargk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 13:43:11 EDT 2005

On 10/4/05, christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com
<christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com> wrote:
> I'd rather this thing was a 3750 than a 2970, as it gives me a lot more room to move.

As a Dell shop waiting for a similar solution for their blade chassis,
I have been hoping the same. Being able to use the 3750's stacking
within a rack worth of blades would be very appealing. The very low
host:switch density that this solution forces -- a rack of blade
chassis all of a sudden is 8 switches which either chews uplinks or
creates spanning tree fun..

(Somewhat related, but I've been looking at MST for this but don't
think it'd be appropriate; is there an analogy between OSPF areas and
MST regions? I'd love to have the cloud between these switches run as
a single RSTP/RPVST+ network with the core switches they uplink to
seeing each other as STP-adjacent without having to relegate that
cloud to a unique set of VLANs).