FW: [c-nsp] Cisco Gigabit Ethernet Switch Module (CGESM) fortheHPBladeSystem

Dave Temkin dave at ordinaryworld.com
Tue Oct 4 14:16:59 EDT 2005

I found it's easier to skip spanning tree.  Use etherchannels from each
switch back to the core (or wherever) for redundancy, and to get
cross-switch redundancy have the servers use fail-on-fault teaming to fail
over to the other switch (which would then be connected to your alternate
core switch) in the event of a failure.

I believe the fail-on-fault technology can test for other variables such
as default gateway reachability.

Another option is to not run STP on the edge switches at all and create a
loop through them and allow the core switches to block/forward.  It
wastes an uplink (no real way to distribute load between the switches) but
it eliminates the edge switches from influencing STP.