[c-nsp] T3 attenuation cable

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Thu Oct 6 14:40:26 EDT 2005

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Bill Wichers wrote:

> > So I think it's time to experiment with attenuation cables, and try
> > to reduce the signal a bit, as it might just overdrive the receiver.
> >
> > This is where cisco-nsp comes into place: does one of you have a
> > recommendation where to *get* such a cable in Europe, preferrably
> > Germany?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > gert
>
> Can't say for sure about a source in Germany, but you could try either a
> length of 735 cable (the smaller stuff), maybe 25m or so of it, or look
> for *attenuators* rather than an *attenuation cable*. I would doubt you'd
> need more than 3dB of attenuation, but 3dB and 6dB are both standard
> values. You can get them from most test equipment supply places, just be
> sure to get 75 ohm units (the more common ones are 50 ohms).

The only way we were able to get our Cisco CT3 cards to speak at an
acceptable level to our Mux, after WEEKS of experimentation and other
assorted network Voodoo was the following:

100 Foot of RG-59 + 8 db attenuator on the Cisco RX port.
100 Foot of RG-59 + 3 db attenuator on the MX-2800 RX port.

Doing this, we were able to reduce the number of errors on the cross
connect to a level of about 1 per day, which is absolutely fine in my book
considering how many times beforehand the DS3 flipped out.

We bought the attenuators here, and w/ some clever adapters from the local
radio shack we're up and running at acceptable levels:

http://tinyurl.com/amar9

Good luck!

                             KP-216-121-ST