[c-nsp] Static routes in routing table

Chen, Qinxue QChen at corp.untd.com
Thu Oct 6 20:34:36 EDT 2005

We have two static routes to the same destination through two different next-hops. One static route has less prefered admin distance. We want a graceful failover happening when the primary static route fails. Now the question is how soon can Cisco routers take out the failed static route. If the next hop is on a direct-connected network (not necessaryly a point-to-point link,) that will depend on how soon the ARP table cleared on the Cisco router. There are two cases:

1) If cisco router -> next-hop is a point-to-point link, will the Cisco router flash the ARP entry for the next-hop right after the next-hop is down?
2) If the next-hop is connected to a cisco switch but on a direct-connected network as the Cisco router, will the Cisco router has to wait for the ARP timeout for the next hop to take out the failed static route? Or any other way to make it instantly.

Thanks

-Qinxue