[c-nsp] Is the following HSRP setup possible?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Oct 6 21:34:41 EDT 2005

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Eric Helm wrote:

>> ISP Router (1.1.1.1/30) -> Switch1
>> MyRouter-A eth0 (1.1.1.2/30 HSRP)-> Switch1
>> MyRouter-B eth0 (1.1.1.2/30 HSRP)-> Switch1
>>
>> Is the above scenario possible?
>
> Yes, use the standby X track interface command on each HSRP group.

I think his question is due to not having additional IPs (i.e. 1.1.1.0/29
to use between the ISP and his routers would be simpler) to be able to
assign interface IPs to his routers and a standby.  It's been said before
that you can use a different subnet for the interface IPs than the standby
IP...but I don't know if that's still possible in this case where he might
have to use private IPs for the eth0 interfaces.

Even the active router will source packets from the eth0 IP rather than
the standby IP...so using IPs the ISP doesn't recognize could be
problematic.