[c-nsp] 877 routers and HSRP/VRRP

Brett Looney brett at looney.id.au
Wed Oct 12 22:55:17 EDT 2005

Greets,

I've got a couple of 877 routers here and I can't get HSRP or VRRP
running successfully.

If I configure HSRP/VRRP the routers do the whole negotiation thing -
they can see each other and "show standby brief" or "show vrrp brief"
shows the correct information - and the routers do the whole
active/master selection correctly.

However, workstations cannot ping the virtual IP address. Only the
router that is active/master can ping the virtual IP address.
Workstations do, however, pick up the correct ARP entry for the
virtual IP address.

Doing a "debug ip packet", "debug ip icmp" and "debug arp" on the
routers while trying to ping the vritual IP address shows multicast
traffic between them (as expected), the ARP requests and replies but
the router never shows the ICMP echo request coming in.

Traffic to/from the real IP address on the routers works fine.

The only interface I've tried this on is VLAN1. Config is simply:

	interface VLAN1
	  ip address 192.168.x.253
	  standby 1 ip 192.168.x.254
or
	  vrrp 1 ip 192.168.x.254

I've tried 12.3(8)YI1, 12.3(14)YT1 and 12.4(2)T1 just for laughs. All
version have been the Advanced Security feature set. All have the same issue.

Any ideas? Am I missing something really simple? My next step is to
raise a TAC call but I thought I'd bounce it around here first.

TIA.

B.