[c-nsp] Load balancing across 2 ADSL lines

gkg at gmx.de gkg at gmx.de
Thu Oct 13 09:41:55 EDT 2005

James O'Farrell wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I am looking to load balanced across 2 ADSL lines either both coming
> into the same router or using 2 separate routers, any thoughts would be
> much appreciated.

Before we had the possibility of terminating DSL ourselves, I tried to
do something similar using tunnels and what all ... it caused more
headaches than anything else, and I never got a reliable connection up
... (and that with only one router on either side ...)

IMHO, the only decent way to go is through a multilink connection ... we
have this running for ourselves (backup for backbone lines) and
customers (both primary connection and backup links), and it's working
relatively smoothly (apart from the rather sorry reliability of the ADSL
backbone/DSLAM, wich we can't do anything about ...)

Problem will probably be finding a provider that supports it ... forget
about asking your local el cheapo provider, not too much of a chance
there I guess ...

-garry