FW: [c-nsp] CiscoGigabitEthernetSwitch Module (CGESM)fortheHPBladeSystem

christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com
Thu Oct 13 13:48:11 EDT 2005

Ok, I Am Not A Multicast Developer. But surely if the application server
has 101Meg to send, it will just delay
those packets' transmission onto the wire? Any competent sockets
programmers on the list who can confirm
whether or not a nic will actually drop packets rather than simply
delaying them? Or whether it's possible
to actually overload your own nic this way?

Internet
Lists at Hojmark.ORG
12/10/2005 23:17

Christian MACNEVIN
cc
cisco-nsp, ltd
Subject
RE: FW: [c-nsp] CiscoGigabitEthernetSwitch      Module
(CGESM)fortheHPBladeSystem

>>> Storm control is something I'm very wary of. The reason is
>>> that it has no concept of what packets it would like to drop,

>> Well, neither does a server interface when you hit line
>> rate... Any additional traffic will be dropped, and don't
>> think the servers will do that intelligently.

> You've lost me a little there. It will send as fast as its
> application stack allows, which will surely be slower than the
> capabilities of the NIC?

I meant:

If you configure the switch and server interfaces for 100 Mbps
and the server has 101 Mbps of multicast to send, the server will
drop the traffic. It will drop 'randomly'. (At least I don't know
of any OS or application that will drop intelligently).

If you configure the switch to drop multicast traffic in excess
of 100 Mbps and the server has 101 Mbps of multicast to send,
the switch will drop the traffic. It will drop 'randomly' (i.e.
the first packet in excess of 100 Mbps).

So what's the difference?

-A

BNP Paribas Private Bank London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Securities Services London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Fund Services UK Limited is authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority