FW: [c-nsp] CiscoGigabitEthernetSwitch Module (CGESM)fortheHPBladeSystem

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists Lists at Hojmark.ORG
Wed Oct 12 18:17:49 EDT 2005

>>> Storm control is something I'm very wary of. The reason is
>>> that it has no concept of what packets it would like to drop,

>> Well, neither does a server interface when you hit line
>> rate... Any additional traffic will be dropped, and don't
>> think the servers will do that intelligently.

> You've lost me a little there. It will send as fast as its
> application stack allows, which will surely be slower than the
> capabilities of the NIC?

I meant:

If you configure the switch and server interfaces for 100 Mbps
and the server has 101 Mbps of multicast to send, the server will
drop the traffic. It will drop 'randomly'. (At least I don't know
of any OS or application that will drop intelligently).

If you configure the switch to drop multicast traffic in excess
of 100 Mbps and the server has 101 Mbps of multicast to send,
the switch will drop the traffic. It will drop 'randomly' (i.e.
the first packet in excess of 100 Mbps).

So what's the difference?

-A