[c-nsp] Small Router/Switch for a small site?

Brett Looney brett at looney.id.au
Thu Oct 13 20:36:09 EDT 2005

At 08:30 14/10/2005, you wrote:
>Not questioning the statement.. But will an 1811 do *real-world* 35Mb/s
>or so?  We have some 3640's in production right now that are taking a
>beating pushing 12Mb/s (inbound trunked VLAN's terminated on one
>ethernet and 2 outbound ospf load balanced links).... CPU hits 80% at
>12Mb/s
>
>So, the 1811 would be an awesome replacement.... But will it work?

To be honest - I haven't had a chance to push an 1800 in production
yet so I really can't say. I'm only going on the cisco marketing
figures and naturally they may vary wildly depending on actual usage.
On paper, the 1800 and 3640 PPS ratings look about the same so you
could be right.

But, from the original question - I know that the 87x series do have
their limitations - I've hit them so the 1800 is the next step up
from there. If price wasn't a problem then the 2800 would be a good choice.

Be interesting to hear some real-life comparisons on the 1800. I
should have some data in a few months...

B.