[c-nsp] BGP causing dropped packets

Tim Devries tdevries at northrock.bm
Fri Oct 14 19:22:46 EDT 2005

This is what I first thought of, of course, it's interesting because the
fiber circuit is provided by a third party (they use 3550's IIRC).  I have
the duplex hard-coded and no collisions etc. on the int stats on either side
(5505 is sh counters).  Also the third party has confirmed they are hard
coded to 10 full on both sides.

The interesting thing with this strange issue is that if I shutdown the eBGP
peer and ping across the 'directly connected' interface, I drop no packets,
whereas I drop bout 20% if I turn up the BGP link.  The directly connected
route is always a metric of 0 so it makes no sense. Perhaps it is an issue
with the FIB, or an IOS BGP incompatibility error?  I've upgraded to the
latest software versions with no change. Hell it's a mystery to me, maybe
one a TAC case or this list can solve...

Tim