[c-nsp] 877 routers and HSRP/VRRP

Brett Looney brett at looney.id.au
Sun Oct 16 00:23:28 EDT 2005

Jon,

At 18:51 15/10/2005, you wrote:
>Does traffic route successfully through the HSRP/VRRP routers?
>Since arp is working correctly, then traffic routing should be fine.

Traffic routing through the routers using their "real" IP addresses
works fine. If you attempt to ping the virtual IP address you get the
correct MAC address back but there is no response. "debug ip packet"
shows no packets hitting the router but a network dump shows it
getting to the router.

>Can you ping something on the "backside" of the routers?

Again, using the real IP address as the next-hop, yes. But using the
virtual there's just nothing.

>I'd suspect some kind of filter blocking icmp echo/reply on the 877s
>themselves.  That might be why you can ping the virtual IP from the
>master, as the filter would be by-passed on the master device itself.

There's no filtering. The config is literally this:

         interface VLAN1
           ip address 192.168.x.253 255.255.255.0
           standby 1 ip 192.168.x.254

If you do this, you won't be able to ping .254 - even after it has
gone Active. .253 works fine. Same symptoms with VRRP.

B.