[c-nsp] PoS + Giga interfaces on 7600

Kim Onnel karim.adel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 08:28:53 EDT 2005

Hi,

My internet gateway(terminating transit links and BGP peering with upstream)
is a 7609, it is currently terminating 2 OC3s and 2xT3s on FlexWans and the
2 Gig ports on the Sup720 are used,

Raya-7600#sh mod
Mod Ports Card Type Model Serial No.
--- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------
-----------
3 0 2 port adapter FlexWAN WS-X6182-2PA JAB081508NX
4 0 2 port adapter FlexWAN WS-X6182-2PA JAB081508QU
5 2 Supervisor Engine 720 (Active) WS-SUP720-BASE SAD081408YM
6 2 Supervisor Engine 720 (Warm) WS-SUP720-BASE SAD081502HK

i'm currently planning for next year, i'll need to do two things:

1) Free the gig ports on the Sup to a Gig module
2) Add 6 more OC3 links (3 will be on the giga and 3 PoS)

So, i thought i'd get a WS-X6724-SFP (Catalyst 6500 24-port GigE Mod), this
will satisfy my Giga needs, but i was told that 24 Giga interfaces on one
module wont perform very well, because they are meant to be for LAN
purposes, servers and stuff not WAN transit internet links ?

for the PoS interfaces, we currently have FlexWANs, are there any new
modules to look at, whats the options for PoS interfaces ?

Any advice?