[c-nsp] Memory - C7301 vs. NPE-G1

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Oct 18 10:52:05 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 03:32:16PM +0100, Ian Dickinson wrote:
> Gert Doering wrote:
> > (The labeling is just weird, should be a 7201-G1, or such, not a 73xx, and
> > the fact that it's needlessly numbering its GigE interfaces differently
> > from a NPE-G1 and uses different software is so... "needless"...)
>
> I see where you're coming from, but this way they keep the IOS support
> options cleaner...

This doesn't make very much sense...

> 7301 = 12.2 or newer
> 7201 = people expect 12.0S (or 12.1E or whatever) to work

What's wrong with that?  It's nearly an NPE-G1, after all, and it should
be possible to build the box in a way that it can be easily added to
whatever train the NPE-G1 support without major efforts...

... which Cisco *did*, for 12.2S.  Dunno about 12.1E (never used that)
or 12.0S (no IPv6 for 7xxx anyway).

OTOH, with the current naming scheme, people expect "7301 comparable
to 7304", and it isn't.  Not even inside the 12.2S IOS train.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de