[c-nsp] Memory - C7301 vs. NPE-G1

Ian Dickinson iand at eng.pipex.net
Tue Oct 18 11:21:35 EDT 2005

Gert Doering wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 03:32:16PM +0100, Ian Dickinson wrote:
>>Gert Doering wrote:
>>>(The labeling is just weird, should be a 7201-G1, or such, not a 73xx, and
>>>the fact that it's needlessly numbering its GigE interfaces differently
>>>from a NPE-G1 and uses different software is so... "needless"...)
>>
>>I see where you're coming from, but this way they keep the IOS support
>>options cleaner...
>
> This doesn't make very much sense...

As much as any other IOS train or product naming choice...

>>7301 = 12.2 or newer
>>7201 = people expect 12.0S (or 12.1E or whatever) to work
>
> What's wrong with that?  It's nearly an NPE-G1, after all, and it should
> be possible to build the box in a way that it can be easily added to
> whatever train the NPE-G1 support without major efforts...

Sure, but Cisco have chosen not to prior to 12.2S (unlike the NPE-G1).

> ... which Cisco *did*, for 12.2S.  Dunno about 12.1E (never used that)
> or 12.0S (no IPv6 for 7xxx anyway).

Sure - IPv6 versus FRR is my rock and hard place for the moment.
I suspect the most likely way to fix this is vendor J though.

> OTOH, with the current naming scheme, people expect "7301 comparable
> to 7304", and it isn't.  Not even inside the 12.2S IOS train.

Not quite as bad as the 2948G-L3 though - a badly named bad product.
--
Ian Dickinson
Development Engineer
ian.dickinson at pipex.net