[c-nsp] GSR vs Juniper prices as P router

Rubens Kuhl Jr. rubensk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 08:47:08 EDT 2005

> So we initially looked at GSR 12410, in my humble opinion, it has decent
> port density compared to price (around 250K US$) when compared to Juniper
> boxes with similar ports density,

Be sure to include all features you want like redundant route
processors/engines, route processors/engine speed (PRP-1 versus PRP-2
on GSR, RE-400/600/850/1600 on M-series)

> Our GSR as P will only run IGP and MPLs transport, it'll initially have 3
> GigaE ports with NPE-G1, 4 ATM OC3 ports and a bunch of PoS for new PEs
> we'll add later

NPE-G1 would apply to a 7200, not to GSR... although there is a 3-GigE
card, this card is Engine 2 based and may be dangerous to your
network's health. Go with the 4-Port GbE ISE, the 10-port GbE or the
modular GbE card.

> Has anyone had this experience before, people recommend Engine 3 cards and

Either Engine 3 or Engine 4+ cards will do fine, but go with them on
all line-cards, not just customer-facing or Internet-facing. 4-Port
OC-3 ATM ISE and n-port OC-3/OC-12 POS ISE cards are good ones to go
with.

> were pointing that IOS is one huge advantage to go over Juniper, please i

I think most people will see the familiar IOS CLI as an
advantage(although I personally like structured CLIs like JunOS), not
IOS per se... both Cisco and Juniper routing software are very good
ones, but base IOS isn't. Cisco acknowledged this with IOS XR, which
is also an option for your 12400.

> welcome your opinions on both GSR and equivalent Juniper boxes.

Try both of them.

> Any known problems with GSR or Juniper ?

Yes, they both cost a lot of money. I'd rather go with Cisco or
Juniper, but on a price sensitive world, looking at Nortel, Alcatel,
Lucent, Avici and Huawei won't hurt.

Rubens