[c-nsp] GSR vs Juniper prices as P router

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Wed Oct 19 09:38:04 EDT 2005

Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:

> NPE-G1 would apply to a 7200, not to GSR... although there is a 3-GigE
> card, this card is Engine 2 based and may be dangerous to your
> network's health. Go with the 4-Port GbE ISE, the 10-port GbE or the
> modular GbE card.

Can you clarify "dangerous to your network's health"?  We're a low-end
shop, and recently grew into 12008s with 6DS3 (Engine 0), 8FE (Engine
1), and 4OC12 (Engine 2) cards; our biggest complaint so far has only
been the lack of priority queueing on Engine 1.  The 4OC12 cards have
been rock solid so far for us - what should I be watching out for?  I'd
be more afraid of the 1xGE cards since they're Engine 1.  We're moving
150-200 Mbps total across the network; enough to outgrow 7500s but not
enough to move into POS WAN links.

> Either Engine 3 or Engine 4+ cards will do fine, but go with them on
> all line-cards, not just customer-facing or Internet-facing. 4-Port
> OC-3 ATM ISE and n-port OC-3/OC-12 POS ISE cards are good ones to go
> with.

Again, can you clarify why you recommend doing E3 or E4+ on ALL cards?
We're looking to get away from 8FE due to the E1 problem, but hadn't yet
planned to leap to E3 across the board.

Thanks for the insight,

pt