[c-nsp] GSR vs Juniper prices as P router

Jeff Aitken jaitken at aitken.com
Wed Oct 19 09:49:14 EDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 08:38:04AM -0500, Pete Templin wrote:
> Can you clarify "dangerous to your network's health"?

It depends entirely on what features you turn on, and what level of
performance you require.  If you push those cards near their bandwidth
*or* PPS limits, and also enable features such as ACLs, uRPF, and MPLS,
you will likely have problems.  However, given that:

> We're moving 150-200 Mbps total across the network;

you're nowhere close to those limits, so the older (and cheaper) cards
will serve you well, at least for now.

--Jeff