[c-nsp] GSR vs Juniper prices as P router

Neil J. McRae neil at colt.net
Wed Oct 19 09:57:03 EDT 2005

Pete,

> Can you clarify "dangerous to your network's health"?  We're
> a low-end shop, and recently grew into 12008s with 6DS3
> (Engine 0), 8FE (Engine 1), and 4OC12 (Engine 2) cards; our
> biggest complaint so far has only been the lack of priority
> queueing on Engine 1.  The 4OC12 cards have been rock solid
> so far for us - what should I be watching out for?  I'd be
> more afraid of the 1xGE cards since they're Engine 1.  We're
> moving 150-200 Mbps total across the network; enough to
> outgrow 7500s but not enough to move into POS WAN links.

GSR Engine 2 GE cards have serious limitations around
ACLs and inbound filtering. The Engine 5 card is far superior.

(if you want need to mark inbound traffic into a specific CoS
setup at a peering point for example - you are in trouble).

> Again, can you clarify why you recommend doing E3 or E4+ on
> ALL cards?
> We're looking to get away from 8FE due to the E1 problem, but
> hadn't yet planned to leap to E3 across the board.

I'd suggest that you look at that for when you start to push
over 250M on specific interfaces, most notably around the edges
of your network.

Neil