[c-nsp] GSR vs Juniper prices as P router

Rubens Kuhl Jr. rubensk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 10:32:54 EDT 2005

> > NPE-G1 would apply to a 7200, not to GSR... although there is a 3-GigE
> > card, this card is Engine 2 based and may be dangerous to your
> > network's health. Go with the 4-Port GbE ISE, the 10-port GbE or the
> > modular GbE card.
>
> Can you clarify "dangerous to your network's health"?  We're a low-end
> shop, and recently grew into 12008s with 6DS3 (Engine 0), 8FE (Engine
> 1), and 4OC12 (Engine 2) cards; our biggest complaint so far has only
> been the lack of priority queueing on Engine 1.  The 4OC12 cards have
> been rock solid so far for us - what should I be watching out for?  I'd
> be more afraid of the 1xGE cards since they're Engine 1.  We're moving
> 150-200 Mbps total across the network; enough to outgrow 7500s but not
> enough to move into POS WAN links.

Engines 0 or 1 are even worse, but I assumed they went end-of-life or
end-of-sale... I'm surprised you recently moved into such hardware. As
others pointed out, you should watch for turning on features(MPLS, ACL
inbound, ACL outbound, uRPF) that this engines either don't support or
have limitations. The lack or limitation of ACL/uRPF features are
dangerous for a network that is connected to a public network like the
Internet or trade association networks, but isn't a killer issue on a
closed network. Lack of MPLS can make you spend more with legacy
solutions, or be a business risk given the market buzz on it.

As for the 7500s, moving 200 Mbps divided among various VIP
controllers is possible, and I think newer VIP cards outperform Engine
0 or 1 GSR cards.

> > Either Engine 3 or Engine 4+ cards will do fine, but go with them on
> > all line-cards, not just customer-facing or Internet-facing. 4-Port
> > OC-3 ATM ISE and n-port OC-3/OC-12 POS ISE cards are good ones to go
> > with.
>
> Again, can you clarify why you recommend doing E3 or E4+ on ALL cards?

Because trouble doesn't come only from the Internet, customer networks
can also generate bad traffic... internal connections (e.g., between
your routers, either intra-POP or inter-POP) would be more tolerant to
lack of features, but sometimes is more produtive to turn features on
all input interfaces of a single router than all input interfaces of
all routers on the network.

> We're looking to get away from 8FE due to the E1 problem, but hadn't yet
> planned to leap to E3 across the board.

Plugging the FE ports on a switch, perhaps ?

Rubens