[c-nsp] GSR vs Juniper prices as P router

Jeff Aitken jaitken at aitken.com
Wed Oct 19 09:42:57 EDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 10:47:08AM -0200, Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:
> although there is a 3-GigE card, this card is Engine 2 based and may
> be dangerous to your network's health.
> [...]
> Either Engine 3 or Engine 4+ cards will do fine

The way I would phrase this is: make sure you know what features
you require, and make sure you understand the performance and feature
limits of the platform(s) you're considering.  For example, if you
need MPLS + ACLs + uRPF, make sure you know how each type of card
deals with that combination.

Note that "make sure" means "test thoroughly in a lab" at a minimum
and "test thoroughly in a live network" if possible.

--Jeff