[c-nsp] Issue with Multilink PPP when going from 12.3T to 12.2S

Dave Temkin dave at ordinaryworld.com
Thu Oct 20 17:54:36 EDT 2005

I just "downgraded" (if you can call it that) a 7500 from 12.3T to 12.2S,
and am noticing a performance change on a multilink PPP bundle of 2 T1's.

Before, using a packet generator, I was able to get the link up to just
over 3Mbps.  Now, I'm barely able to break 2.5.

I noticed the following - notice the high amount of reordered packets.

Multilink1, bundle name is CR1
  Endpoint discriminator is CR1
  Bundle up for 00:29:48, 1/255 load
  Receive buffer limit 32768 bytes, frag timeout 1000 ms
    0/0 fragments/bytes in reassembly list
    0 lost fragments, 182847 reordered

These are two routers connected back to back, so it's not that the lines
are different lengths...

The packet sizes are the same between my tests, so I don't think it's any
difference from that direction.

Does anyone know of any changes to the handling of MPPP between the
versions?

Thanks,
-Dave