[c-nsp] Same PE as global next-hop for VRF route

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Fri Oct 21 04:11:52 EDT 2005

> Context is:
>
>   Internet Access from an MPLS VPN Using
>   a Global Routing Table
>   http://tinyurl.com/aalg8
>
> Though we would like to use a global address
> of the same PE router as global next-hop for
> some of its VRF routes. However:
>
> 7206_Lab-PMP(config)#ip route vrf 550000004-01 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255
> 1.2.113.170 global
> %Invalid next hop address (it's this router)
> 7206_Lab-PMP(config)#^Z
> 7206_Lab-PMP#
>
> Is it somehow possible to use a global address
> of the same PE as global next-hop for VRF routes?

no, it is not possible. Why can't you use a neighboring core device (or
the internet gateway or whatever) as a next-hop? CEF will do the
recursion within the global table itself, so no need to specify a
next-hop which is directly adjacent..

BTW: In recent IOS, you can import global routes into the VRF
dynamically
(http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122sb/newft
/122sbc27/fs_bgivt.htm).. not sure if this helps..

	oli