[c-nsp] Same PE as global next-hop for VRF route

Everton da Silva Marques everton at lab.ipaccess.diveo.net.br
Fri Oct 21 05:29:31 EDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 10:11:52AM +0200, Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) wrote:

> > Is it somehow possible to use a global address
> > of the same PE as global next-hop for VRF routes?
>
> no, it is not possible. Why can't you use a neighboring
> core device (or the internet gateway or whatever) as a
> next-hop?

We need to establish communication among some VRF sites
and other non-VRF, regular, Internet sites, all within
the same LSR/PE device. The neighboring LSRs/PEs are
located across long distance WAN links. If we would
point VRF routes towards global addresses of the
neighboring devices, we would just loop packets across
our long distance backbone...?

> BTW: In recent IOS, you can import global routes into the VRF
> dynamically
> (http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122sb/newft
> /122sbc27/fs_bgivt.htm).. not sure if this helps..

Hmmm, I think it may help. Thank you, Oliver!

Everton