[c-nsp] Future Design

Fri Oct 21 06:20:40 EDT 2005

I currently have a 3750 trunked to multiple 2950's, the 3750 is also doing
bgp with my provider, i have about 75 vlans and two /22's.

# Current Design
################
Provider

   |BGP

3750-EMI

   |trunk

   -----------------------------------
   |              |              |          |           |
2950G  2950G  2950G  2950G  2950G

I recently accuired a 7206VXR and now want to implement this into my network
but i'm a bit confused about the best way to do this.   I know that the
7206VXR will take over bgp between my provider.  I'm mainly confused about
what i would run between the 7206VXR and my 3750.  Most of the docs i've
read say to just set the default route to the 7206VXR on the 3750 and i
assume i do the same on the 7206VXR (send traffic to the 3750).  It makes
sense for the drawling below but i plan on adding another 3750 and 7206VXR
in the next few months and would rather set everything up so that i can
easily just add the equipment in the future.

Here is what my new setup will look like
##########
Provider

   |BGP

7206VXR

   |???

3750-EMI

   |trunk

   -----------------------------------
   |              |              |          |           |
2950G  2950G  2950G  2950G  2950G

and here is what my setup will look like in the future...
#############
PROVIDER-A          PROVIDER-B
   |BGP?                             |BGP?
7206VXR-------------7206VXR
   |\                                    /|
   | \________  ________/ |
   |                  \/                  |
   |???             /\                  |???
   |  _______/  \________  |
   | /                                  \ |
   |/                                    \|
3750-EMI-----------3750-EMI
   |\                                    /|
   | \________  ________/ |
   |                  \/                  |
   |trunk          /\        trunk  |
   |  _______/  \________  |
   | /                                  \ |
   |/                                    \|
2950G                          2950G

My biggest question here i guess is what do i run between my 7206VXR's and
my 3750's?  I've seen a few examples that show iBGP but i'm not sure if
thats the best solution.  Also, is it correct to run a connection from
router1 to router2? if so, do i trunk these?  same with the 3750, run the
connecton beween them and trunk?

Sorry if these are basic questions, i'm no expert at this stuff and just
want to make sure i'm headed in the right direction. I am excited to start
learning/getting more in HA/redundancy!  Also the 3750's will be running
HSRP v2 on each vlan.

~Shaun