[c-nsp] Future Design

Kristofer Sigurdsson kristo at ipf.is
Fri Oct 21 06:52:48 EDT 2005

Hi,

> I recently accuired a 7206VXR and now want to implement this into my network
> but i'm a bit confused about the best way to do this.   I know that the
> 7206VXR will take over bgp between my provider.  I'm mainly confused about
> what i would run between the 7206VXR and my 3750.  Most of the docs i've
> read say to just set the default route to the 7206VXR on the 3750 and i
> assume i do the same on the 7206VXR (send traffic to the 3750).  It makes
> sense for the drawling below but i plan on adding another 3750 and 7206VXR
> in the next few months and would rather set everything up so that i can
> easily just add the equipment in the future.

One idea would be to put the 7206VXR in front of the 3750, like you
suggested, let it run full BGP peering with your provider, but just
(re?)distribute a default route into your IGP.

When the other boxes come, you could let the other 7206VXR run BGP
against provider B, run iBGP between the two 7206VXR's and let both
(re?)distribute default routes to your 3750 distribution layer.

Both VXR's should be physically connected (if at all possible) to
both of the 3750's for full redundancy.

You will probably be able to implement a redundant solution on the
access/distribution layer using your 3750's, and this way, there
would also be redundancy in your core layer.

--
Kristófer Sigurðsson           Tel: +354 414 1600
Netrekstur/Network Operations  IP Fjarskipti ehf.