[c-nsp] boot image?

Ian Dickinson iand at eng.pipex.net
Sun Oct 23 14:18:54 EDT 2005

Alex Rubenstein wrote:

>>> [snipped question about boot vs. kboot]
>>>
>>> Now I'm assuming that 120-28d would be newer than 120-10.S so I'm a bit
>>> confused as to why this image has this problem.
>>

>> Unfortunately choosing an IOS is far from simple.
>>
>> Stick with c7200-boot-mz.120-24.S.bin - it's the newest that fits in the
>> bootflash (156 bytes free) but make sure you have somewhere else to write
>> crashinfo (and remember to configure this).
>>
>> You have a similar but opposite problem when using NPE-400/NPE-G1 with
>> 12.0S
>> where you have to use a kboot image, which first starts at 12.1.
>
> This isn't true.

I stand corrected, though it has been true in the past, and the CCO web page
doesn't show the kboot image.  This (and the comments in some documention)
begs the question:  is it supported?

> For 12.0.30S1, at least:
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   3746244 Mar 17  2005
> c7200-boot-mz.120-30.S1.bin
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   4957888 Mar 17  2005
> c7200-kboot-mz.120-30.S1.bin

So, is this image only visible via direct FTP?

> I was actually going to post today, asking what the difference is
> between boot and kboot was.
>
> This actually makes no sense, because CCO days there is no kboot for the
> 7200:
>
>     http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/prod_troubleshooting_guide09186a008014cf91.html
>
>     ... "The c7200-kboot-mz image is not supported in Cisco IOS Release
> 12.0 S, but is supported in other Cisco IOS releases, such as E and T.
> This document is intended to give the reader an indication of which port
> adapters are supported in the standard 12.0 S boot image."
>
> So, the question remains; for a 7206VXR/NPE-400, which do you use? How
> about for a NPE-300?

NPE-300 should use boot.
NPE-400 with the 2xFE or GE+E IO controller should use kboot.
I don't know about an NPE-400 with the older IO controllers.
--
Ian Dickinson
Development Engineer
ian.dickinson at pipex.net