[c-nsp] PCMCIAFS-5-DIBERR

Wolfgang Roth Wolfgang.Roth at brave.de
Thu Oct 27 11:40:08 EDT 2005

Dear John,

> No.  I'm a little afraid of doing anything about it, since regardless of
> what its saying, it's obviously capable of booting.  If I do reformat
> under 12.3M and want to downgrade back to 12.2S, will it still
> boot?...probably...but I don't want to find out the hard way.

besides this, reformatting still won't make the messages to disappear.

>> When booting a Cisco IOS image from an ATA disk card, ROMMON uses the
>> ATA  monlib file. The ATA monlib file is the file system library of
>> functions for
>
> ROMMON?  ROMMON on these routers doesn't support ATA.  That's why you
> have to have a suitable boot image in bootflash, and to CYA a linear
> memory card in one of the slots with a "fall-back" real IOS just in case
> something happens to bootflash and you can no longer boot from ATA disk.

I disagree. The 7200 series routers boot without a special boot image on
flash. So ROMMON supports ATA disk cards somehow.

> Since the router did boot from this card, I'm inclined to believe the
> warning is just an annoying feature/bug, and can safely be ignored.

Yes, but it is - as you said - annoying.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang Roth
Home of the Brave
Internet Technology Based Solutions GmbH
Telefon +49 (0) 621 16672-0
Telefax +49 (0) 621 16672-22
eMail Wolfgang.Roth at brave.de