[c-nsp] PCMCIAFS-5-DIBERR

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Oct 27 11:31:22 EDT 2005

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Wolfgang Roth wrote:

> Hello John,
>
>> Oct 26 04:00:23: %PCMCIAFS-5-DIBERR: PCMCIA disk 0 is formatted from a
>> different router or PC. A format in this router is required before an
>> image can be booted from this device
>
> did you receive any answer yet?

No.  I'm a little afraid of doing anything about it, since regardless of
what its saying, it's obviously capable of booting.  If I do reformat
under 12.3M and want to downgrade back to 12.2S, will it still
boot?...probably...but I don't want to find out the hard way.

> When booting a Cisco IOS image from an ATA disk card, ROMMON uses the ATA
> monlib file. The ATA monlib file is the file system library of functions for

ROMMON?  ROMMON on these routers doesn't support ATA.  That's why you have
to have a suitable boot image in bootflash, and to CYA a linear memory
card in one of the slots with a "fall-back" real IOS just in case
something happens to bootflash and you can no longer boot from ATA disk.

Since the router did boot from this card, I'm inclined to believe the
warning is just an annoying feature/bug, and can safely be ignored.