[c-nsp] PCMCIAFS-5-DIBERR

Wolfgang Roth Wolfgang.Roth at brave.de
Thu Oct 27 11:14:28 EDT 2005

Hello John,

> Oct 26 04:00:23: %PCMCIAFS-5-DIBERR: PCMCIA disk 0 is formatted from a
> different router or PC. A format in this router is required before an
> image can be booted from this device

did you receive any answer yet?

I have the same or a similar problem with a 7204VXR with NPE-300. On the
Cisco website there's a small hint regarding this issue for IOS version
12.3 (which we're running here):

Resolved Caveats 12.3(9), CSCec69091

Symptoms: When an ATA disk is formatted on a router that shares ATA-Monlib
within its CPU family, any disk-related CLIs may log the following
information:

PCMCIAFS-5-DIBERR: PCMCIA disk 0 is formatted from a different router or
PC. A format in this router is required before an image can be booted from
this device

Conditions: This symptom is observed on a Cisco router that shares
ATA-Monlib within its CPU family such as a Cisco 6400 series NSP and a
Cisco 10000 series.

Workaround: There is no workaround.

(see e.g.
<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5187/prod_release_note09186a00803704f4.html>)

What I also found out so far (on the Cisco website):

"ATA monlib" stands for "ATA ROM monitor (ROMMON) library".

When booting a Cisco IOS image from an ATA disk card, ROMMON uses the ATA
monlib file. The ATA monlib file is the file system library of functions
for opening, reading, and closing a file on a PCMCIA or CF ATA disk card.
This library file is a hidden file on the ATA disk device and is located,
loaded, and used by ROMMON to access the DOS File Allocation Table (FAT)
file system used to store data on the ATA disk.

For me not clear is, what "shares ATA-Monlib within its CPU family" exactly
means. E.g., is the 7200 series affected or not?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Roth

Wolfgang Roth
Home of the Brave
Internet Technology Based Solutions GmbH
Telefon +49 (0) 621 16672-0
Telefax +49 (0) 621 16672-22
eMail Wolfgang.Roth at brave.de