[c-nsp] Cisco CEF "Encap_fail"

Brad Swanson lakepepin at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 28 13:43:29 EDT 2005

I have the following in the RP of a 6509, sup1a/MSFC2.

#sh cef drop

Slot  Encap_fail      Unresolved Unsupported    No_route      No_adj
ChkSum_Err
RP     265238851           0            0              9275519           0
         0

The Encap_fail creeps up about 4-5 every 10 seconds.  Any ideas?  Something
to worry about?  The processor runs at 2-3%.  I also have Input queue
drops...and have a case open with Cisco on this, just need to get a sniffer
trace...

20 seconds after clearing counters:
Input queue: 1/75/56/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
20 seconds or so later I have 72 drops.

Different animals or is there a relationship between the two?  I understand
CEF and queues, just want to know if there is any way the two issues are
related.

Thanks,
Brad Swanson