[c-nsp] selectively suppress CDP vlan warnings?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Oct 31 05:49:06 EST 2005

Hi,

one of our switches is pegging me with warnings like this one:

Oct 27 23:51:29 sw2-int.XX.XX 5882: %CDP-4-NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH: Native VLAN
mismatch discovered on FastEthernet0/1 (1), with SCAxxxxx(YYY-ZZ) 7/41 (81).

- which I am aware of, and it's perfectly fine that way - the switch
that is sending out all the complaints is a "slave switch", which has
no VLANs at all, all the ports in VLAN 1 (2950, 12.1(22)EA4).

To get rid of the warnings, I see two possible approaches, that I both
do not like very much:

 - switch off CDP (or go to v1 globally on the 6509 on the other end)
   - we think CDP is useful, have it enabled on all "internal" links, and
     CDP v2 carries more useful stuff around

 - move all ports plus management VLAN to vlan 81
   - lots of effort, for minor gain

what I'd *really* like to see is an option

 " no cdp warnings vlan-mismatch "

but as far as I'm aware, it doesn't exist.

Anything I'm overlooking here?

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de