[c-nsp] 7206VXR Crashing on BGP full feed

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Oct 31 16:38:13 EST 2005

RE: [c-nsp] 7206VXR Crashing on BGP full feedThat may be the case for some
folks.  However it hasn't worked for me.  The last time I
had BGP crashes of this nature was about 3-4 years ago, when we were still
using
7206's (non-VXR) for Internet feed routers with full BGP tables.  Everything
was fine under
IOS 11.1 then we needed to upgrade to 12 to get PA-A3-T3 and irb support.
Crashed
every other day.  I finally got the crashes down to about once every couple
months with
12.0.7T IOS.  bus error messages were no help.

Of course, that was kind of along the lines of the old joke "Doctor it hurts
when I do this"
"well then don't do that!   Too much work for one router to handle.

Today we use 12.2 IP-only (NOT service provider )on 7206VXRs with NPE 300's
and the
old-style IO cards with 4MB of bootflash on them for BGP and they work
perfectly, never
had a problem.  The only stupid thing is that Cisco no longer has bootflash
available for
these.  We use 12.0.24 S6 bootflash.

Ted