[c-nsp] Re: 2950 QoS

Jeremiah Millay jeremiah at rockriver.net
Thu Sep 1 12:04:12 EDT 2005

This is what I use for Cisco IP phones with a 2950 switch. Please note
that the phones set their CoS value as 5 by default (you can modify this
in their configs).
I put the phones in the voice vlan (CDP must be enabled) and I set the
ports to trust the cos of the phones. Portfast is enabled on the voice
vlan by default but I have other devices connecting to the same port so
I put portfast in there anyway. The switch supports four CoS queues for
each egress port. For each queue, specify strict priority scheduleing
(packets in the high priority queue always transmit first) or weighted
round robin scheduling. Queue 4 is the expedite queue or strict priority
queue while 1 - 3 are WRR. Notice how mine matches CoS value 5. This
puts the phone in the priority queue. See my sample configs:

interface range fa0/2
 switchport voice vlan dot1p
 mls qos trust device cisco-phone
 mls qos trust cos
 spanning-tree portfast
!
wrr-queue cos-map 1 0 1 2 4
wrr-queue cos-map 3 3 6 7
wrr-queue cos-map 4 5

Some useful show commands:

show mls qos interface fa0/2
show wrr-queue cos-map
show wrr-queue bandwidth

Hope that helps.
Jeremiah

--
Rock River Internet                            Jeremiah Millay
202 W. State St, 8th Floor              jeremiah at rockriver.net
Rockford, IL 61101                      815-968-9888 Ext. 2202
USA                                               fax 968-6888