[c-nsp] Is this throughput on ATM DS3 in 3640 normal?

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Fri Sep 2 03:37:08 EDT 2005

Mark Rogaski wrote:

>An entity claiming to be Dan Hollis (goemon at anime.net) wrote:
>: On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Lincoln Dale wrote:
>: > if you end up above the policy they have set then they don't necessarily
>: > drop what you want - in fact - they may drop one cell in the middle of
>: > an AAL5 stream rendering up to 31 other cells as useless with 1500-byte MTU.
>:
>: If cell are dropped, it will be visible as AAL5 CRC errors on the
>: interface.
>:
>
>Not necessarily.  If EPD (frrame-based discard) is used by the provider
>only intact PDU's will be delivered.

all good information.  cisco-nsp certainly remains a forum with a higher
than average clue quotient.

just to follow-up on my experience(s) with all of this ~10 years ago (i
have nothing to do with this area inside cisco :) ..

we thought that also.  however we also found that there was no guarantee
that an ATM switch with congestion wouldn't actually guaranteed to do this.
this was almost 10 years ago - so perhaps things have changed since then
(vendor N ATM switches) - but ... based on the fact that noone has ever
bothered to try to find a better way to shoe-horn IP-mix-size packets
into ATM any more efficiency than is currently done suggests probably
not ...

cheers,

lincoln.