[c-nsp] T1s switching relay device?!?

Network Fortius netfortius at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 10:44:47 EDT 2005

I have a question about a device I am not sure it exists, but which I
can imagine may already be - so here is the scenario: I have one
router being "fed" 16 T1s (channelized, for voice and data, or clear
- pure data), and another one on standby (turned on, same config as
the active one). In case of failure of the main/active router, I
would like to be able to switch all T1s to the stand-by one. Right
now this would be possible only by physically moving (unplug from
one, plug into the other) the T1 wires. What I am looking for is a
device like a relay, one for each T1 (I would imagine), remotely
controllable (either via a modem, or of the ethernet) which could
allow someone to instruct it to do the switch of all T1 connections,
from a remote location. Is there such a thing? I cannot assume the
type of failure the active router may suffer, so I cannot assume the
device being intelligent enough to do the switching automatically.

If there are other ways to skin the above cat, I would also
appreciate to hear above them. I am on a shoe-string budget at this
client, so I may end up building such a relay out of parts :(

TIA,
Stef
Network Fortius, LLC