[c-nsp] Upgrading 3x DS-3 to 3x OC-3/100Mbs

Rick Ernst ernst at easystreet.com
Fri Sep 2 14:51:32 EDT 2005

Growth has started to strain our upstream capacity and we are looking
at upgrading from 3x DS-3 to at least 2x OC-3 and another OC-3 or 100Mbs
ethernet connection.

We currently have 7206 VXRs fronting the DS-3s with 7500s in the core
acting as route-relector servers.  The 7206s are running at about 1% CPU
load per mb of inbound traffic; so we are seeing >= 40% CPU load.

Our traffic level shouldn't jump dramatically (although, once you have
capacity, sales will start selling it...:), so the 7206s could probably at
least land the OC-3 but there wouldn't be much room left for growth.

We need new terminating equipment for the OC-3s.  I'd rather not stick
everything in one box, or even more than one upstream into a single box.
My initial thought is to throw some 7505s at the problem, but wonder if
there is a better and cost-effective way to land the OC-3s and come out
with either multiple FE or GigE to feed the core.

I'm starting to enter unexplored territory with higher capacity links and
would like to avoid the haunted forest.

Thanks!

Rick