[c-nsp] OSPF scalability

Kristofer Sigurdsson kristo at ipf.is
Tue Sep 6 08:31:46 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 14:27 +0200, Kristian Larsson wrote:
> Yes, but do you need filters in this scenario?
> Summarizing is always good but imho it just
> creates a more complex setup than necessary in
> this particular case.
> Keep those 7301s in one area and let the routes
> flow freely :)

Thanks everyone for your replies.  They cleared it up for
me, we will stick with OSPF. :-)

About one OSPF area vs. two, Jeff hit the nail on the head.  We
need to be able to control the flooding of routes, because
even though the routes will flow freely among the 7301's,
they could introduce a real pain in the neck if they leak
away from them, i.e. to our backbone OSPF area, which, among
other equpment, contains Cat 3550's, which wouldn't be too
happy with the several thousand host routes. :)

The idea with multi-area OSPF here is to have all routes flow
freely between the 7301's, but just summarize the route to
the backbone (which would be another area).
Comments welcome...

Thanks again for your help (everyone who responded, on- and off-list).

--
Kristofer