[c-nsp] HSRP or GLBP

Scott Altman staltman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 15:24:23 EDT 2005

HSRP. Based on load-sharing not being necessary and the simplicity of the
design, HSRP will give you a deterministic mechanism to provide resiliency
for your hosts. Common practice usually splits the active HSRP gateways
between the two routers (using the priority command) so that you get some
load sharing on the routers, but per your statement this wouldn't be
required. Others like to have all gateways on one router so they can
accurately determine load (helps plan service levels during failure).

Lastly, HSRP is pretty well baked into all of the code versions and isn't
undergoing feature enhancement, thus, fewer bugs.

- Scott