[c-nsp] BGP Routing Failover for multiple classes of customers

Richard J. Sears rsears at americanIS.net
Wed Sep 7 01:19:17 EDT 2005

Hello Everyone -

We are working on a project and we have hit a stump, hopefully someone
can come up with some ideas different that we have.

We have a router (router_1) connected via BGP to two providers.
Provider_1 and Provider_2. We are receiving full routes from both
providers.

We have three type of customers connected directly to router_1 (which
happens to be a 6509 running a SUP720-3BXL engine).

Customer 1 we would like to only get to provider_1 (this works)

Customer 2 we would like to be able to get to both provider_1 and _2
(this works)

Its customer three we have a problem with. We want customer 3 to only go
out provider_1 unless provider_1 fails, then be able to go out
provider_2.

Inbound traffic will be handled with prepending and is not a problem.

Thanks In Advance