[c-nsp] PACL on C6K

lists at hojmark.org lists at hojmark.org
Thu Sep 8 16:00:34 EDT 2005

> On Cat 6500, on all supervisors including Sup720, you can
> control L2 traffic with VACLs (VLAN Access Control Lists):

Yeah, I know about VACLs, but they're not at all the same thing.

VALCs control traffic within a *VLAN*, PACLs control traffic in
an out of a physical *port*. If you can't know (in advance) the
address of the equipment, but do know the physical port, it can
be hard to do the VACL, but very easy to do the PACL.

It's funny that all the other platforms can do it -- even the
low-end 2950 has a form of PACL -- while the top-of-the-line
can't[1].

In the meantime, I've learned that the feature was actually meant
to have been in Rockies 2, but was then been moved to some future
release.

Sigh.

-A
[1] Not that it should be such a great surprise... There are many
other switching features lacking from C6K Native IOS.