[c-nsp] Netflow Analyzers deployment experience

Sami Joseph sami.joseph at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 08:40:44 EDT 2005

Hello everyone,

We're way behind, i know, but we would like to deploy Netflow analyzers to
be able use all the nice features of netflow, track ddos, plan growth,
accounting,...

Our unix admins will install the software, because from what i've seen
almost all tools are *nix based, which i'm not that familiar with, i just
need to give the the information they need to get servers,..

>From my readings, i understand that i first need to know how much i will
export, as of flows/sec and bytes/sec, and how do i calculate this, educated
guess ?

>From all your experiences, tell me, what do i need to writedown, Flows/sec,
bandwidth, placing servers at PoPs or data center, the technical specs of
these servers, memory, hardrives, processors, how many machines,

which flow applications, they are too many to try, whats the most commonly
used and successfully deployed?

I looked at stager, it has nice graphs, same for flow-tools +rrdtools,..

Can any one help me to compile a list of questions i need to answer to
determine the information i will give to our sysadmin to start ordering the
servers..