[c-nsp] BGP confusion in 12.2(18)SXE2

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Sep 14 03:18:30 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 12:12:35AM -0700, Bruce Pinsky wrote:
> Getting more customer cases linked to the bug would help get it integrated
> in the SX train earlier.

Just sent mail to the case engineer :-)

> > We're on SXE2 because we want to use BFD - which we're not actually
> > doing yet, but certainly want to enable "real soon".
>
> Where do you need BFD?  Are there other solutions that might work or is
> this an environment where intermediate infrastructure failures are not
> detectable (metro-E for example)?

That's exactly the scenario - two Sup720 boxes linked together with
a "long range Gbit" solution from another carrier, which they implement
via EoMPLS.  So depending on the actual error modes on the path, it's
well possible that we'll still see a link on both sides, but still
have no end-to-end connectivity.

As we don't have BFD today, we can live without it for some more time,
of course.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de